Monday, May 23, 2011

Get my drift?

So, I spent the last three days chasing walleyes and running from the South Dakota wind.    Jeff and I met up with a couple friends and we enjoyed some of the best walleye fishing I've ever experienced on Lake Francis Case.  Unstable weather that went from high, puffy clouds, bright sun, and a nice breeze to 35 mph winds and hail within the hour.  I had been hearing that the average fish size is bigger than ever up there, and we were not disappointed.  This has been an annual trip for many years for us, and the last few years a 17" walleye would be the biggest fish of the weekend, cleaning mostly 15" and 16" fish.  This year we averaged almost 19" on our limits, with a few real hogs like the one above. 

Jeff said he was very pleased with his North Face rain gear which held up really well, but for me the best performance by any of our gear was once again my 680t.  Precision boat control was key to catching these fish, using the electric motor to keep us on the sharp breaks kept our baits in the zone.  The 680t was designed for precision trolling and drifting.  This boat tracks like no other, and it was a little work to keep us on the fish, but two of my fishing buddies that own tin boats were really pushed to their limits trying to fill the livewells.  One of them gave up and just did the "motor up with the outboard and drift over the break" technique over and over.  I'd like to take credit for being a master of boat control, but my FTFCM does most of the work!

No comments:

Post a Comment